What do recruiters look for in cover letters?: Are you looking for ways to improve on your cover letter? Do you want an insight into what recruiters admire in a cover letter? Do you want to write a cover letter that will increase your chances of getting recruited?
While it is oftentimes said not to judge a book by its cover, yet out it is quite a habit that isn’t easily stopped as the cover of a thing gives us the first impression of what lies within. The same goes for Cover letters as they set the tune of the application.
Here we will look at the importance of a good cover letter and also provide you with some tips to prepare a cover letter that is unique and that will grab the recruiter’s attention and also things to avoid when writing a cover letter. Let’s get started
Why do you need a good cover letter?
A cover letter is an individual’s introduction to the company he or she is applying to. It is a summary of the data presented in your resume. It highlights your strengths and skills and describes your interest and motivation. A good cover letter increases your chances of being hired. There are tips to follow in writing a good cover letter and pitfalls to avoid.
What do recruiters really look for in a cover letter?
- Be creative – a cover letter should be interesting for a recruiter to read, think of things that will make a recruiter interested in you and include them in your cover letter.
- Do your research – when applying for a position you need to show through your cover letter that you have done your research on that company and the position you are applying for. It shows innovation and seriousness on your path and recruiters admire that.
- Always proofread – you have to check that all the spelling and grammar are correct and there are no mistakes. Also, ensure that every piece of information in your cover letter is correct.
- Use clear and precise language – your cover letter should be easy to read. Avoid ambiguity and ensure that your statements are clear and straightforward.
- Make it brief – time is valuable, you need to understand and show that you understand that when writing a cover letter. Write a short letter that is straight to the point.
- Highlight specific skills – you don’t need to list all your qualifications in a cover letter, just highlight the ones that are unique and necessary for the position you are applying for.
Things to avoid in writing a cover letter
- Avoid cliches – be authentic, recruiters admire ingenuity and innovation.
- Do not highlight weaknesses – yes, we know everyone has weaknesses and strengths but when writing a cover letter, emphasize your strengths, not your weak points or lack of skills.
- Don’t make it all about you – don’t just talk about what you need or what you expect, talk about what you will contribute to the growth and development of the company.
- Don’t rewrite your entire resume – a cover letter is not a substitute for a resume, it’s just an introduction and summary.
- Avoid copy and paste – don’t just go online a copy and cover letter from the web. You need to write it yourself and personalize it.
With the tips mentioned above, you can be sure of a cover letter that will attract a recruiter’s attention and boost your job chances. Do you need more help with writing cover letters? Then Bookmark these pages, drop a comment below and be sure to get a reply.