How to write an application letter: Do you want guidance on how to write a letter applying for the job you desire? Do you want an application letter that will make you unique from other applicants? Then you’re on the right page!
A good application letter makes a good first impression on your employer and creates the right connection for your interview, providing a good platform for negotiations and giving you an edge over other applicants, hence it is very essential you pay attention to details when writing your application letter.
Writing an application letter is necessary for applying for jobs and you need to do it right! Here we will guide you step by step on the process of writing an application letter for the job you desire. Let’s get started!
What is an application letter?
An application letter is a letter that you send to a potential employer declaring your interest in an advertised vacant position. It is an expression of interest letter. An application letter should address the following;
- Your personal and professional background as an applicant
- Your interest in the vacant position
- Your skills and qualifications that make you qualified for that position
- The job experiences that make you suitable for that position
- How will you contribute to the success of the company
- Your references
Tips on writing an application letter
The following tips will guide you on how to write an application letter;
1. Have an outline:
When writing an application letter, you need an outline/format that will guide your when writing. There are many templates that you can use when writing an application letter. Having an outline will make it easy for you to write the letter. An application letter is a formal letter and here are some things that should guide you when writing
- Heading: This should include your address and that of the potential employer
- Salutation: Always use the appropriate greeting; to do that, you need to know who you’re addressing in your letter.
- Body of the letter: The body of the letter should be divided into paragraphs preferable 3 paragraphs
- Closing and signature: End on a positive note. You can include your contact for further communication.
2. Prepare a draft
Before writing the main letter, you need to prepare a draft first. A draft is like rough work or a prototype, it will enable you to see if you have included everything you are meant to put in the letter.
3. Start with an engaging statement
The first paragraph should be engaging, it should be written in a way that will catch the interest of the reader and make them interested in you.
4. State how you found out about the vacancy
5. Highlight your skills and experiences that make you unique
You need to highlight those skills you have that make you suitable for that job.
6. Explain how hiring you will benefit the company
Talk about your strengths and what you hope to contribute to the company. Think of how you’re joining the company will bring about the company’s growth. Don’t be modest here.
7. Briefly summarize your resume listing your qualifications
Briefly list your professional background, academic qualifications, etc. Just highlight the basic things, don’t list everything in your resume.
The tips mentioned above I hope it will help you in preparing for your next application letter. Do you need assistance in writing applications or cover letters? Then Bookmark this page, drop a comment below and be sure to get a reply.